You may already be familiar with OBD2 car diagnostic tools but if you’re not, then allow us to explain a little more about what they are and how they can help the car owner. The term OBD-II or OBD2 stands for On Board Diagnostics and it relates to a standard system of computer networks within your car or vehicle.
This system is used to diagnose vehicles that may be displaying faults or issues which can’t be easily detected using day-to-day tools. It’s a revolutionary system however, it’s left many car owners struggling to decide what exactly is wrong with their car without the help of what can often be very costly car mechanics.
Thankfully, OBD2 scanning tools have come a long way and have now been made available for car owners themselves. Not only are they available in handy hand held devices but they’re also far more affordable than they ever were before.
Which Car Diagnostic Tool To Use?
The question now however is which car diagnostic tool is the right tool for you? With so many different car diagnostic tools on the market, it can be a daunting task picking the right one. Thankfully, there are certain things you can look for to ensure you’re getting the right diagnostic tool.
- First and foremost you’ll need to decide what kind of tool you’re looking for, whether you need a basic model or a more high-end model with all the bells and whistles.
- The basic code readers on the market have rather limited functionality however, for those looking for a simple tool that can give them insight before a visit to the mechanic shop, these will be perfect.
- They’re also of course, a lot more budget friendly compared to more complex models.
- If you have a slightly bigger budget and wish to use your OBD2 scanner on multiple vehicles for more in-depth diagnostics, then we suggest looking at a tool that has more advanced functionality.
- ABS & Airbag Control - detect anti-locking braking systems, air bags, and even reset dash notifications relating to these areas.
- On Screen Information - with built in LCD screens, you’ll find information and codes displayed on said screens in minutes, allowing you to determine what’s happening.
- Printability - with some devices, the downloaded codes and reports can be printed out into physical copies
- Live Feeds - all information gathered from the vehicle through the use of a OBD2 device is delivered in real time to the screen, giving you everything you need to know there and then.
- Storage & Data Logging - you’ll also find all data and information stored on the device, allowing it to be accessed at any point thereafter.